- May 02, 2011
- Exciting News - MissionFish acquired by eBay
We're taking the next step in expanding our impact.
- Today I am pleased to announce that MissionFish has been acquired by eBay from the Points of Light Institute. This is a big step in the evolution of MissionFish, and one that everyone involved — eBay, Points of Light and the MissionFish team — is excited to take.
- As you know, we have powered eBay for Charity for the past eight years, breaking new ground in philanthropy and raising almost $250 million for U.S. and UK nonprofits. By bringing our team and our technology inside the eBay family, we will be able to grow our impact for the nonprofit sector even faster and further than we have so far.
- This move is a strong endorsement by eBay of the program, and of the idea that a global company can deliver a dramatic social impact through their products and properties. In addition to bringing our seasoned social entrepreneurs in-house, eBay is investing their money, their people and their brainpower into our mission. I am energized by their commitment, and have set my sights even higher on what we can accomplish together.
- Going forward, count on us to keep doing what we've always done: power eBay for Charity, and launch new ideas that drive resources to organizations everywhere. Initially we'll work with Points of Light to process and deliver U.S. donations (just like we do today). Eventually, a new nonprofit, staffed by members of the MissionFish team, will be responsible for donation handling.
- We started this venture in 1999, and have reinvented ourselves repeatedly in the eleven years since. Through it all we've been carried forward by a true focus on our vision, and by the friends, nonprofits and donors whose trust is our secret ingredient. We also owe a debt of gratitude to the Points of Light Institute, who gave us a home and were early believers in our mission.
- On behalf of our team, including our colleagues at eBay for Charity, thank you for being part of our community. We look forward to our future together, making it easy for people everywhere to support your essential work.
- Sean Milliken