- August 14, 2008
- Add Video to Your eBay Giving Works Listings
Tell a story in your listing and get an edge on the competition
- Adding video to your eBay Giving Works listings is an exciting way to engage potential buyers, convey your story to the globe, and provide more product detail. By adding a video, your story and listing come to life in a memorable way. Here are some tips and instructions to create a stellar video.
Shooting your video
- 1. Use a tripod. Your message won’t get across if your viewer gets seasick.
- 2. Be brief. Be careful not to approach any length like that of a feature film. 30 to 60 seconds is the sweet spot.
- 3. Avoid background noises. Sound quality is just as important as picture quality. Beware of barking dogs, rumbling trucks, and noisy washing machines. Make sure there is no background noise where you’re shooting.
- 4. Tell an engaging story. Consider answering these questions: What is the history of the item? How does it work? How will funds raised from its sale help your nonprofit?
Having your video hosted
- eBay has a list of approved sites where you can host your video including: YouTube.com, AuctionVideo.com, MySpace.com and more. See full list
- Once the video is uploaded to a site, follow that site’s instructions for embedding video. The site will usually provide you with HTML code for embedding.
Adding video to your item description
- 1. Go to the Sell Your Item form on eBay
- 2. Click the “Customize your listing” function and fill out the form as usual
- 3. In the Description section, click the "HTML" line to select the tab for entering HTML
- 4. Paste the HTML code for your video into the item description. You can also type your regular description text on the HTML tab, or can click the “Standard” link to go back and do that in the standard text editor tab
- 5. Click the "Preview" link to check if the video is embedded correctly
That’s a wrap!
- Now that you’ve got a video in your listing, pat yourself on the back. You’ve got an edge on other listings and are ready to attract more buyers!
- Read more about eBay’s policies and tips for using video